Probably one of the most elegant and sought after residential buildings in the community is the Detroit Towers.
Constructed in 1925, the distinctive eighteen-story red brick and cast stone tower that is overlooking the Detroit River – offering some of the best views in the city.
Built in the Roaring Twenties for luxurious living (at an estimated cost of $1.6 million – around $22m today) the 18-story building contains thirty-four large units, two per floor. Each unit contains 9 rooms including servant’s quarters, and is around 2,400-2,800 sq ft.
Chicago architect Walter W. Aschlager designed the structure. He had a stellar reputation, and was nationally known for his design of hotels, skyscrapers and motion picture palaces. Having established an office in Detroit at the beginning of the 1920’s Aschlager was arguably at the peak of his career when he designed the residence.
Given its prominence and luxurious apartments the new Tower on the river attracted many prominent and wealthy figures from the community, including –
- Benjamin Gotfredson (Unit 5-B) – president of American Automobile Trimming Company of Detroit. He lived in the Towers for five years from 1925 until 1930.
- Charles E. Sorensen (Unit 6-A) – vice president and general manager of the Ford Motor Car Company. He lived in the Towers from 1926 until 1945.
- James Scripps Booth (Unit 15-A) – is the eldest son of George Gough Booth, the director and president of the Detroit News. In 1913, working alongside his uncle William E. Scripps, together they formed the Scripps-Booth Cyclecar Company, which subsequently became a division of Chevrolet in 1916. Booth continued to design automobiles until the mid 1930s, also serving as a trustee for the Cranbrook Foundation and the Detroit Institute of Arts.
- Howard Crane (Unit 12-B) – a prominent architect throughout Metro Detroit, Crane is arguably the nation’s most accomplished theater designer; he designed over 50 in Detroit alone. He lived in the Towers from 1925 until 1934.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Very little has changed since its construction, and the Towers remain an extremely desirable address.
Unit 6-B is now for sale – the next owner of this superb apartment will have the opportunity to live in one of the most sought-after residences in the City of Detroit. Please click here for full details, or to schedule a tour please call Higbie Maxon Agney: 313 886 3400Posted by Kay Agney on