Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – The Lost Estates – 431 LakeshorePosted by Kay Agney on
Over the past few weeks we have been delving into the history of several lost estates on Lakeshore. These have included the bygone properties of T. P Hall, Scott Whitcomb, Roy Chapin, William P. Stevens, and Richard Webber.
This week we return to the William P. Stevens estate – 431 Lakeshore – for a more in-depth review of this grand home.
Built in 1914 the home was reportedly designed by leading Detroit architectural firm Smith Hinchman and Grylls. Located back from the road, and originally accessible from Kercheval, it was a magnificent Georgian Revival brick home – an architectural approach that was extremely popular during this era, particularly in the larger estates that were being built in Grosse Pointe Farms.
When the house was…
3131 Views, 0 Comments