<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<rss version="2.0" xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
    <channel>
        <atom:link href="https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/rss/" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" />
        <title>Real Estate Blog</title>
        <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/</link>
        <description></description>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--39-beverly.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--39-beverly.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – 39 Beverly</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we presented some of the work of Horrace Esselstyn – this talented and sought-after engineer worked on some incredible projects across Metro Detroit and some stunning homes in Grosse Pointe during the 1920’s. 


This week we head to 39 Beverly Road, a lovely English Cottage style home that Horrace Esselstyn created with his partner of six years, architect Raymond Carey.


In September 1923 it was announced in the Detroit Free Press that Horrace Esselstyn had formed a practice with distinguished architect Raymond Carey. Carey &amp; Esselstyn worked together from 1923 to 1929. Much of their work was in the prestigious neighborhoods of Metro Detroit, including Grosse Pointe, where they designed at least 4 homes




       867 Balfour - 1923


       1104 Nottingham – 1926


       39 Beverly - 1927


       338 Provencal - 1928




39 Beverly was completed in 1927 for lawyer William H. Wells and his wife. The two-story 3,511 sq ft property is an English Cottage style home, displaying many typical characteristics associated with this approach – a steeply pitched slate roof, an oversized chimney, multiple small windows, a gable roof, and an asymmetric configuration. It is constructed from stone with a stucco exterior with the front elevation displaying an attractive band of leaded windows on the second floor. The garage is attached to the house.








It is understood Mr. Wells added an addition to the home in 1929. However, the Wells family did not live in their new home for long since it was leased to Lee Anderson from 1929-1935. Mr. Anderson was president of Advertisers, Inc., a company that dissolved at his retirement. Anderson was also a sportswriter for the Detroit News (between 1903-09), then advertising manager for Chalmers Motor Company (from 1910 until 1928), following which he formed his own advertising company. It is understood Mr. Anderson was known for originating the slogan, &quot;Body by Fisher.&quot;


In 1936 it appears 39 Beverly went through foreclosure (it is not clear who owned it at that time), and the house was subsequently purchased by Mr. and Mrs. William Rust Pierce (Henrietta Warnick Kernan). It was reported Mrs. Pierce was the founder of Walton Pierce, a couture shop in Detroit in the 1930's and 1940's that moved to Grosse Pointe around 1950. It is alleged it was the only dress shop on the east side of Detroit that brought out its own collections twice a year. The house remained with the Pierce family until 1983.


Horrace Esselstyn’s partner, Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey, was born in Guernsey, Channel Islands (United Kingdom) on 27 August 1883. He was educated in Bath but by 1901 he had relocated to London where he spent many years working for several prestigious architects. It is reported, in documents from the Royal Institute of British Architects in London, “Carey possessed impeccable professional credentials which he obtained during his residency with us.” We also leaned “in 1901-03, he was associated with none other than Charles F.A. Voysey, the acknowledged master of the Arts &amp; Crafts style in England. From 1903-05 he continued his training under the prominent architect Leonard A.S. Stokes and remained with him as a draftsman until 1907. Carey then traveled in Italy for a full year, returning to London in 1909.” Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org. 


In 1909, Carey relocated to Winnipeg, Canada. Aged 26 it is reported he arrived armed with an “extensive knowledge of contemporary design trends from England, and a wealth of experience,” having been surround by some of the finest Georgian residences in the world. This level of experience and inspiration influenced much of Carey’s career, particularly many of the homes he would eventually work on in Grosse Pointe. However, it is alleged that while Carey was highly regarded in Michigan, he was “an underrated figure in the architectural history of Winnipeg.” Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org


Carey worked in Winnipeg for several years as a draftsman, then went to San Francisco, before returning to Winnipeg to open an office in early 1911. During this time, he formed a partnership with John Woodman. Together they designed several significant commercial and industrial buildings, along with several splendid residences. It is reported “Carey introduced a new and elegant repertoire of architectural design and detail to the Winnipeg scene.” Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org. By 1917, Carey had ceased working with John Woodman and had formed a partnership with George W. Northwood to form the firm of Northwood &amp; Carey.


Around 1922, Carey relocated to Detroit to continue his career. He initially operated under his own name, but by 1923, had formed a partnership with engineer Horace Esselstyn. It was during this period that Carey “produced some of the most distinctive and sumptuous residential masterpieces of his career.” Much of his work was in the prestigious neighborhoods of Metro Detroit, particularly Grosse Pointe Farms.  It is acknowledged he designed more than 15 homes in the community, most of which were in his signature Georgian and Tudor Revival styles. Click here to read more here.


39 Beverly is one of the prestigious residences that was constructed between 1911 and 1936 on this private street for prominent corporate executives and lawyers who sought to live in the affluent neighborhood of Grosse Pointe Farms. Beverly Road is the only road in the Grosse Pointe communities that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  The district was one of the earliest upper-class subdivisions in the Grosse Pointes and played a major role in the area becoming an upscale community for wealthy Detroiters.


 


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 

 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 11 Aug 2026 08:08:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--engineer-horrace-esselstyn.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--engineer-horrace-esselstyn.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Engineer Horrace Esselstyn</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we presented four homes that were designed and built by the talented duo of Raymond Carey and his partner, Horrace Esselstyn, between 1923 – 1929. Together Carey and Esselstyn created many fine residences along with several key buildings in Detroit.


This week we continue with the work of Horrace Esselstyn as we explore more of his creations and career history – this talented engineer worked on some incredible projects in Grosse Pointe and across Metro Detroit. 


A successful engineer, Horace Hovey Esselstyn was described as an “outspoken” and “colorful figure” who “played a large part in building modern Detroit.” He was born in Detroit on 26 December 1874. A couple of years later the family decided to move back to Syracuse, New York where they were originally from. His father was a successful photographer and reopened his studio in the city. In 1898, aged 14, it is understood Esselstyn briefly joined the US Army during the Spanish-American War, however with the war nearly over he was discharged only a month later. Having graduated as an engineer he moved to Puerto Rico to build highways, this was followed by time working in Japan. In 1904, he married Clara Gillespie. They initially lived in Washington, D.C. but by 1909, they had moved back to Detroit to continue his career. Aside from being hired to build residences he also “helped to design many of Detroit’s big buildings, including several erected by the Detroit Edison Co., and supervised construction on the Belle Isle and Ambassador bridges. Other major projects he worked on was the role he played in the electrification of the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven and Muskegon Railways, and the Great Falls &amp; Old Dominion Railway.” Source: Detroit Free Press (January 1958). It was also reported during World War I the government made him supervisor of construction for the Hog Island Shipyard near Philadelphia.


Aside from being a highly sought-after engineer Esselstyn was involved in public service, serving as Detroit Commissioner of Public Works for a year in 1918 and later serving as Commissioner of Street Railways. He also ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Detroit in 1927.” Source: wikitree.com


After World War I Esselstyn was partnered with Murphy &amp; Hanford. It was during this time the firm created several homes on Rivard, including


497 Rivard - 1918


 


487 Rivard – 1919


This center entrance clapboard Colonial home  was arguably Esselstyn’s most noted residence. It was commissioned by Bernard Stroh Jr. (of the Stroh Brewery Company). The 6,299 sq ft home is exquisite with wonderful interior features, including a stunning entrance hall, high ceilings, one of the best examples of a flying staircases in Grosse Pointe, along with beautiful Pewabic and ceramic tile throughout. You can read the full story by clicking here.





502 Rivard – 1919





By 1922 the firm of Esselstyn, Murphy &amp; Hanford had become Esselstyn, Murphy &amp; Burns. One of the finest homes they created was 329 Grosse Pointe Blvd, built in 1922. It is a beautiful Italian styled home with superb architectural details on the front elevation. The design features an abundance of arches - on the entranceway, above the first-floor windows, and delicate brick detailing on the chimneys.





In September 1923 it was announced in the Detroit Free Press that Esselstyn had formed a practice with distinguished architect Raymond Carey. Carey &amp; Esselstyn worked together from 1923 to 1929. It was during this period that Carey “produced some of the most distinctive and sumptuous residential masterpieces of his career.” Much of their work was in the prestigious neighborhoods of Metro Detroit, including Grosse Pointe, where they designed at least 4 homes




       867 Balfour - 1923


       1104 Nottingham – 1926


       39 Beverly - 1927


       338 Provencal - 1928




Aside from residences, it is understood Carey &amp; Esselstyn are credited with working on several key projects in Detroit including – (Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org)




       Gately’s Department Store on Michigan Avenue


       Belle Isle Bridge (1924)


       Detroit Receiving Hospital, Nurse’s Home, and Annex (1924-26)


       Detroit’s Woods Cathedral in Lasalle Gardens (1925)


       Two schools for the City of Detroit


       Fourteenth Precinct-Detroit Police Station, on Coolidge Highway (1926–27)


       A factory for the Mississippi Glass Company


       An office building for the Detroit Automobile Company (owned by Henry Ford)




In 1932, it was reported Horrace Esselstyn moved to San Diego where he held the post of city manager. Upon returning to Michigan (year unknown) he partnered in several engineering firms. He passed on 08 Jan 1958 in Detroit.


 


The “colorful figure” of Horrace H. Esselstyn played a large part of influencing the architectural scene in Detroit. And here in Grosse Pointe he certainly helped shape some stunning homes.


 


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 


 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 04 Aug 2026 11:36:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--carey-and-esselstyn.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--carey-and-esselstyn.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Carey and Esselstyn</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we presented the work of Roland Tempest a lesser-known designer who created at least 3 sublime homes in Grosse Pointe during the 1920’s, including 22 Sunningdale which has had several prominent owners.


This week we turn our attention to four homes that were designed and built by the talented duo of Raymond Carey and his partner, Horrace Esselstyn, between 1923 – 1929. Together Carey and Esselstyn created many fine residences along with several key buildings in Detroit.


Raymond Carey – Architect


Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey was born in Guernsey, Channel Islands (United Kingdom) on 27 August 1883. He was educated in Bath, but by 1901, he had relocated to London where he spent many years working for several prestigious architects. It is reported, in documents from the Royal Institute of British Architects in London, “Carey possessed impeccable professional credentials which he obtained during his residency with us.” We also leaned “in 1901-03, he was associated with Charles F.A. Voysey, the acknowledged master of the Arts &amp; Crafts style in England. From 1903-05 he continued his training under the prominent architect Leonard A.S. Stokes and remained with him as a draftsman until 1907. Carey then traveled in Italy for a full year, returning to London in 1909.” Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org


In 1909, Carey relocated to Winnipeg, Canada. Aged 26 it is reported he arrived armed with an “extensive knowledge of contemporary design trends from England, and a wealth of experience,” having been surround by some of the finest Georgian residences in the world. This level of experience and inspiration influenced much of Carey’s career, particularly many of the homes he would eventually create in Grosse Pointe. While in Winnipeg Carey worked as a draftsman, then went to San Francisco, before returning to Winnipeg to open an office in early 1911. It is reported “Carey introduced a new and elegant repertoire of architectural design and detail to the Winnipeg scene.” Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org. Around 1922, Carey relocated to Detroit to continue his career. He initially operated under his own name, but by 1923, had formed a partnership with engineer Horace H. Esselstyn.


Horrace Esselstyn – Engineer


Horace Hovey Esselstyn was born in Detroit on 26 December 1874. A couple of years after he was born the family decided to move back to Syracuse, New York where they were originally from. His father was a successful photographer and reopened his studio in the city. It is reported “Horace pursued a very successful career in civil engineering and as an architect. He briefly joined the US Army in 1898 during the Spanish-American War, but the war was nearly over, and he was discharged only a month later. In 1904, he married Clara Gillespie. They lived initially in Washington, D.C. but by 1910, they had settled in Detroit. Aside from being a successful engineer Esselstyn was involved in public service, serving as Detroit Commissioner of Public Works for a year in 1918 and later serving as Commissioner of Street Railways. He also ran unsuccessfully for mayor of Detroit in 1927.” Source: wikitree.com


Carey &amp; Esselstyn worked together from 1923 to 1929. It was during this period that Carey “produced some of the most distinctive and sumptuous residential masterpieces of his career.” Much of his work was in the prestigious neighborhoods of Metro Detroit, particularly Grosse Pointe.  It is acknowledged he designed more than 15 homes in the community, most of which were in his signature Georgian and Tudor Revival styles. Some of his projects in the community he worked on during his partnership with Esselstyn include –


867 Balfour (built in 1923) for Charles C. Smith


A grand English style home with exquisite brickwork. It was built by Charles C. Smith (a builder and designer) who also owned the property for nearly five years. In January 1928, the house was sold to Walter L. Dunham, president of the Detroit Savings bank. Second image courtesy of: Detroit Free Press (January 1928).








1104 Nottingham Road (built in 1926) for John H. Lyons


A striking English style home with the second floor covered in cedar shingles, it is quite unique. Image courtesy of GoogleEarth.





39 Beverly Road (built in 1927) for William H. Wells


39 Beverly is a distinctive Cottage style home finished in stucco – we will have the full story about this home soon.





338 Provencal (built in 1928) for Howard F. Smith


338 Provencal was created for Howard F. Smith, VP of the Canada and Dominion Sugar Company, it is a stone Tudor residence with all the hallmarks of an English estate. The asymmetric design has elegant limestone detailing around the large bay windows on the first floor, along with a striking slate roof – typical of homes created in this architectural style. The exterior also included a sundial – located above the dining room windows, as depicted in the photo below. Sundial – Courtesy of www.luxuryrealestate.com








Aside from residences, it is understood Carey &amp; Esselstyn are credited with working on several key projects in Detroit including – (Source: dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org)




       Gately’s Department Store on Michigan Avenue


       Belle Isle Bridge (1924)


       Detroit Receiving Hospital, Nurse’s Home, and Annex (1924-26)


       Two schools for the City of Detroit


       Fourteenth Precinct-Detroit Police Station, on Coolidge Highway (1926–27)


       A factory for the Mississippi Glass Company


       An office building for the Detroit Automobile Company (owned by Henry Ford)


       Detroit’s Woods Cathedral in Lasalle Gardens (1925)




While the partnership of Raymond Carey and Horrace Esselstyn didn’t last all that long, in the five years together they created some “sumptuous residential masterpieces”.


 


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 28 Jul 2026 08:31:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--architect-roland-tempest.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--architect-roland-tempest.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Architect Roland Tempest</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we presented the history of two significant men who played a large part in shaping Grosse Pointe into the community we know today - Geroge Lothrop and Theadore Hall. Lothrop built a summer cottage, known as “Summerside” while Hall built a majestic estate named Tonnancour.


A few weeks ago, we began introducing the work of some extremely talented, yet lesser-known designers/builders who worked throughout Metro Detroit during the 1920’s – 1930’s. This week we continue with the series as we introduce three homes Roland Tempest designed in Grosse Pointe during the 1920’s.


Rolland W. Tempest was born on 8 January 1891 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Having grown up in the city he attended the University of Pennsylvania where he graduated in 1915 with a degree in architecture. At some point he relocated to Detroit to work as an architect where we would create numerous fine residences in the affluent suburbs of Detroit, including Grosse Pointe, Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. He passed in Salt Lake City on 20 November 1972.


It appears Roland Tempest created at least three homes in Grosse Pointe during the late 1920’s, including:


22 Sunningdale Drive - 1927


22 Sunningdale (original address was 36 Lochmoor) was built for Charles E. Bird treasurer and part owner of the S. L. Bird Company Department Store, which was located on Washington Blvd. It is a stunning 5,000 Sq Ft Spanish style home in Grosse Pointe Shores. It originally had a frontage of 260 ft on Sunningdale and 150 ft frontage on Lochmoor. Image of Mr. Bird Courtesy of: Detroit Free Press (June 1938).











22 Sunningdale was featured in an article in the Detroit Free Press in 1928 which was explaining the benefits of having Masonite Structural Insulation used in a home - “To enjoy this same enduring comfort-uniform warmth in winter, cool rooms in summer—all you need do is to specify Masonite Structural Insulation.” Image courtesy of: Detroit Free Press (January 1928).





When the house was listed for sale by Mr. Bird in 1932, the interior featured a large foyer with circular stairs, a living room, library, dining room, a butler’s pantry, and service stairs on the main floor. The second floor had four main bedrooms plus two smaller bedrooms for maids over the garage. In the basement was a recreation room. The nearly 1-acre lot included a 3-car garage, and a surrounding brick wall. Our files state the casement windows and outside steel doors were made by the Hope Co. of England.





It appears the original owner Mr. Bird moved to 106 Lochmoor and in May 1932, 22 Sunningdale was purchased by John Lord Booth. In the spring of 1939, Mr. Booth had listed the property for sale for $60,000 (around $1.4m today). It is stated in our files that prior to listing the property Mr. Booth had put in $1,600 worth of trees (around $39,000 today). By this point Mr. Booth had commissioned Frank Miles to design a stunning new home for him and his family – 226 Provencal, which was completed in 1940.


When Mr. Booth listed 22 Sunningdale for sale he stated the chandelier and the wallpaper were to be removed from the dining room and replaced with something else.  Mr. Booth had expensive taste when it came to wallpaper in dining rooms. In his new home on Provencial the walls in the dining room were covered in Gracie Wallpaper (one-of-a-kind wallpaper by the Gracie Company) that was not your standard wallpaper, but a covering of silk, hand painted by artists. Which begs the question, did he have Gracie wallpaper in the dining room at 22 Sunningdale too? Read the full story about Gracie Wallpaper here.


John Lord Booth was the son of Ralph Harmon Booth, president of Booth newspapers and a major arts patron in Detroit. Ralph Booth resided at one of Grosse Pointe’s most stunning, and largest, residences 315 Washington – built in 1923. John Booth was born in Detroit in 1907, having graduated from Yale, in 1928, he became the private secretary to the American ambassador to Denmark, in 1930. He then held the position of vice president, and treasurer at the Ralph H. Booth Corporation (1931-1938). Post 1939 he was the founder, owner and chairman of numerous broadcasting companies throughout Michigan and the United States, during this era.


22 Sunningdale was sold in May 1944 and was purchased for $37,000 by Burdette E. Ford. Future owners included the vice president for Hiram Walker, Mr. Van Lockern, and Roberta Wallrich.


509 University Place – 1927 - Created in an English architectural style.





862 Westchester - 1928


This center entrance Colonial was designed by Roland Tempest for Leon Bastendorf. Image courtesy of: Realtor.com





It is clear Roland Tempest was a skilled architect who created at least three distinctive homes in Grosse Pointe. In presenting the work of these unsung builders and designers who worked in Grosse Pointe during the first half of the 20th century, it ensures the less prominent, yet equally stunning homes, have a chance to showcase their stories. And in some way every home in Grosse Pointe has an interesting story to tell.


A big thank you to Roberta Wallrich, former owner of 22 Sunningdale, who wrote to us seeking information about her former home.



* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 21 Jul 2026 07:32:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe---george-lothrop-and-theadore-hall.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe---george-lothrop-and-theadore-hall.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe - George Lothrop and Theadore Hall</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we presented the story of Commander Alexander Grant – a British Naval officer serving on the Great Lakes – who moved to Grosse Pointe around 1774. He became the earliest prominent settler and constructed the area's first large permanent residence – “Grants Castle”.


As part of the post, we mentioned two historical figures, Geroge Lothrop and Theadore Hall. Lothrop built a summer cottage, known as “Summerside” on part of the land owned by Alexander Grant, while Theadore Hall purchased “Grants Castle” around 1875, razed it and set about building his own majestic estate, Tonnancour. So, this week we are going to delve deeper into the lives of these two significant men who played a large part in shaping Grosse Pointe into the community we know today.


George Van Ness Lothrop served as the seventh Michigan Attorney General from 1848 until 1851 and was the US ambassador to Russia. He was born on 8 August 1817 in Connecticut. Having graduated from Brown University he then started law school at Harvard but didn’t finish due to ill health. It is understood “he moved to live on his brother’s farm in Prairie Ronde, Michigan to recover before moving to Detroit in 1843 to finish his law studies. He married Almira Strong in 1847. Image courtesy of Wikipedia.





“Mr. Lothrop was impressed with the beauty of The Pointes soon after his arrival in Detroit and purchased 130 acres in 1850. The estate, 215 Lake Shore “Summerside”, was completed that same year as a summer cottage - which originally stood at the northeast corner of Alexander Grant’s property. Source: Grosse Pointe on Lake Sainte Claire, published by Silas Farmer &amp; Co. (1886). The publication goes onto explain “the Lothrop family spent each successive summer at Summerside until Lothrop had to relocate to Russia in 1885 for his job as US Ambassador. He stated, “with many sighs and regrets, I exchanged Grosse Pointe for a sojourn on the banks of the Neva (St. Petersburg, Russia).” Image courtesy of GP Historical Society and Burton Historical Collection.








A further extract in the publication explains “Lothrop’s intimate friend, Edmund A. Brush, had located in Grosse Pointe shortly before him, and for several years, they were the only colonists. Both raised large families and lived in rural simplicity compared with present-day customs. Whether an approach to fashionable life brought increased pleasure to the colonists at the Pointe, the older residents much do question. If a well spent life entitles any man to enjoyment and peace in his later years, it is certainly due to the owner of &quot;Summerside.&quot; Source: Grosse Pointe on Lake Sainte Claire, published by Silas Farmer &amp; Co. (1886).


George Lothrop passed on July 12, 1897, in Detroit. His stunning residence “Summerside” was then owned and occupied by James Moran. It is not known when the property was demolished. Today, a Michigan historical marker is located on Charlevoix Avenue, which commemorates a stand of pine trees that Mr. Lothrop planted on the site in 1878. It is reported “these trees became the &quot;feeder stock&quot; for many of the pine groves that are now widespread in the eastern suburbs of Detroit. Across from the pine plantation is Lothrop Road, named in his honor.”


Theodore Parsons Hall was a key figure in the development of Grosse Pointe. With limited and somewhat conflicting details, it appears he purchased “Grants Castle” around 1875, when fifty acres of the farm, belonging to Commodore Grants family (Grant passed on 8 May 1813), was purchased by Hall from one of Grants descendants - presumably Grants last surviving daughter Jane, who died in April 1875. Following Mr. Halls purchase it is understood the “castle” was razed and the land subdivided. It is reported Mr. Hall used an old walnut staircase, mantelpiece and doors from the original structure for his new residence called &quot;Tonnancour&quot; Source: Heritage Magazine (February 1986).


Tonnancour was built in 1880. The property consisted of sixty-three acres which ran 2 ½ miles inland from Lake St. Clair. About fifteen acres were devoted to lawn and garden, twenty-five to pasture, and the remainder to natural forest. Theodore Hall set about building an elaborate estate called “Tonnancour”. This included an elegant summer residence – a wooden Victorian Swiss Chalet style mansion and a boat house – both of which were designed by influential Detroit architect Mortimer L. Smith.  Images courtesy of Detroit Public Library and GP Historical Society.











The publication Grosse Pointe on Lake Sainte Claire, published by Silas Farmer &amp; Co. (1886) explains “the very old orchard on the ridge back of the house contained trees dating back to 1815. In the front portion many select varieties of ornamental trees were planted, a willow of enormous size stood just above the house and near the road. On the lake side was a spacious boathouse built in Swiss style of architecture. A fine beach was rescued from the lake, and on it stood a rustic grotto enshrining a statue of Notre Dame deSainte Claire, commemorating an old tradition described in the &quot;Legends of Detroit.&quot; It is understood “the family spent subsequent summers developing the estate and each year dancing parties, theatricals and other evening amusements took place. During the winter months, the Hall family resided in Detroit sometimes at the Hotel Cadillac or at their home on Jefferson Avenue.” As the years went by it is acknowledged the family spent winters in Florida or on the Pacific coast. Source: Thomas W. Brunk. 


Theodore Parsons Hall was a commodities broker and grain merchant. He was born in Connecticut on 15 December 1835. He graduated from Yale in 1856, and came to Detroit from Wall Street, New York, to work as a cashier at the old State Bank of Michigan. He married, Alexandrine Louise Godfory in 1860. Ms. Godfroy was daughter of Pierre Godfroy, and granddaughter of Col. Gabriel Godfroy, whose father was one of the founders of Detroit. Image courtesy of: Findagrave.com.





On 3 January 1909, Theodore Parsons Hall passed away, survived by his wife, Alexandrine, and three children. Around five years later their beautiful Victorian home burned down. Following the fire Alexandrine moved to a residence in Detroit while her new home, 383 Lakeshore was completed. During this time the Hall estate was sub divided. A section of the land became part of the Country Club’s golf course, while each of Hall’s three children (Josephine, Nathalie and Marie) built homes on the lake front sections of the property. Source: Thomas W. Brunk, courtesy of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society. 


George Lothrop and Theadore Hall were two key figures in the history and growth of Grosse Pointe. Without them the community we know today might have been quite different.


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 14 Jul 2026 07:26:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--grants-castle.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--grants-castle.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Grants Castle</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we featured a prominent, yet unsung builder in Detroit by the name of Emil Schultz. During a career that spanned four decades Schultz built some fine homes in Grosse Pointe in conjunction with noted architects. This included his own home - 719 Berkshire.


This week we travel back to 1776, a very important time in the history of our nation. This historic milestone is something everyone in the country is proud of. So, what was happening in Grosse Pointe at this time?


According to the Detroit Historical Society, “in 1776, Detroit was a fortified, British-controlled fur-trading outpost. While the Thirteen Colonies declared independence, Detroit remained under British rule and served as a strategic base for British forces and their Indigenous allies to launch raids into the Ohio Country.” It has been acknowledged British control brought many settlers to the area, including a renowned individual named Alexander Grant – a British Naval Commander of the Great Lakes – who ultimately decided to build a home in Grosse Pointe around 1774-1776. His arrival ensured that he not only became the first prominent settler, but he also constructed the first large permanent residence – “Grants Castle”, located on what is now Lake Shore and Moran in Grosse Pointe Farms.


Commander Alexander Grant was born in Scotland on 20 May 1734. Research states “he was educated by the Navy of Great Britain, but after serving three years he resigned and enlisted as ensign in Montgomery’s Highland Regiment which was being organized for service in America. In 1763, he succeeded to the command of the Naval establishment on all the lakes. Although his military title was that of Captain, he was known as Commodore Grant. After the surrender of Montreal and Quebec to the English he was ordered to lakes Erie and Ontario.”Source: Frank Aubry, Field Writer (1936). Image courtesy of: WikiTree





During his career, not only was he a high-ranking naval officer, but he also was briefly involved in the ship building industry, before becoming a prominent politician, in 1805, as the Administrator of the Government of the Province of Upper Canada. 1774, he was 40 years old when he married a young 16 year-old French Catholic girl, Therese Barthe. It is alleged she could not speak English or him French, but the couple had 12 children together (11 daughters and 1 son). Sadly, three of the daughters died at an early age.


The couple settled in Grosse Pointe after Grant purchased a 639-acre farm to build a property known as &quot;Grant's Castle&quot; - completed in 1775/76.Located on Lake Shore and the corner of what is now Moran Road, it allegedly had a frontage of nine acres on the Lake and a depth of seventy-one acres. The property was said to have had fine gardens and orchards. It is understood the farm is also significant as “embracing the first &quot;cleared&quot; land in Grosse Pointe.” It is understood the property originally extended from the present St. Paul on the Lake Catholic Church to the grounds of the former George V. N Lothrop estate – 215 Lake Shore, built by George Lothrop in 1847 - which originally stood at the northeast corner of Grant’s farm.


Prior to purchasing the land, Commander Grant, “in aspiring to find a seigneury similar to the old French claims on the St. Lawrence, selected the tract of land, and during the winter, when the lakes were frozen, he employed his sailors and soldiers in clearing of the forest trees. The house was built of hewn oaken timbers taken from the trees in the surrounding forest that had been cut down. These were neatly dovetailed at the corners, and the interstices between the logs carefully filled with plaster. It was about 160 feet long, two stories in height, and surrounded, on all sides by huge two-story verandas or &quot;galleries,&quot; as the French termed them, and, in shape, resembled a great barrack.” It is alleged the large house was the location of much entertaining and lavish parties, some of which were supposedly to introduce his beautiful daughters to society. It has also been suggested that many people regard Alexander Grant as the founder of the Grosse Pointes. Source: Grosse Pointe on Lake Sainte Claire, published by Silas Farmer &amp; Co. (1886). Image courtesy of: GP Historical Society





Several years later, it is understood “President Madison signed the land patent giving Alexander Grant the title to his Grosse Pointe Farms estate only one day before the declaration of war with Great Britain on June 18th, 1812.” Commodore Alexander Grant resided at his “castle” until his death on 8 May 1813 (his wife had passed in the spring of 1811). “Three days later he was buried in St. Johns Churchyard in Sandwich, Ontario. On the wall of the church may be seen a tablet, erected by one of his grandsons, as a tribute to his memory. The accounts of his estate may also still be seen. It recited that fifteen shillings were paid to three men for going to Grosse Pointe in a canoe to collect Grant’s corpse.” Source: Frank Aubry, Field Writer (1936)


Alexander Grant’s estate was divided equally among his children (the last of whom, Jane, died in April 1875). It is understood &quot;Grant's Castle&quot; and part of the property on which It was situated, were then purchased in 1825 by Louis Moran, Sr., who deeded the property to his son George and his daughter, Monique Campau. With limited and somewhat conflicting details, it appears the “castle” was purchased by Theodore Parsons Hall, around 1875. It is understood the house was razed around this time, and the land subdivided. It is reported Mr. Hall used an old walnut staircase, mantelpiece and doors from the original structure for his new mansion called &quot;Tonnancour&quot; (completed in 1880). Source: Heritage Magazine (February 1986).


Parts of the original Grant property became the location of Grosse Pointe Academy, the unfinished John Dodge mansion (223 Lake Shore – started in 1918 and razed in 1941), while the rest of the estate was eventually filled with many fine residential properties we know today.



* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 

 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 07 Jul 2026 07:51:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--builder-emil-schultz.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--builder-emil-schultz.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – Builder Emil Schultz</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we introduced the new 237 Lake Shore. Completed in 1967, is one of the finest homes in Grosse Pointe. Located on part of the site of the former David C. Whitney estate, “Ridgemont”, the new residence is a key property in the modern-day grand estates of Grosse Pointe.


A few weeks ago, we began introducing the work of some extremely talented, yet lesser-known designers/builders who worked throughout Metro Detroit during the 1920’s – 1930’s. This week we continue with the series as we introduce some of the houses built by Emil Schultz.


It is believed Emil Schultz was born in Detroit on 13 September 1904. During a career that spanned four decades Schultz built some fine homes in the community in conjunction with several noted architects. It appears two of his earliest projects in Grosse Pointe came in the 1920’s, with two Colonial style homes in Grosse Pointe City -




643 Rivard (1926)


933 Washington (1927)




643 Rivard is one of several excellent examples of Clapboard Colonial style homes that were built on Rivard before 1930. 643 Rivard is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year





933 Washington is a striking Dutch Colonial style home.





As you will see, both these properties are very different to the three homes Schultz worked on in Grosse Pointe Park, which he was hired to build during the 1930’s -




       719 Berkshire (1937) – architect Omer C. Bouschor – created for Emil Schultz


       838 Berkshire (1936) – architect Omer C. Bouschor – created for Harvey Harper


       787 Berkshire (1937) – architect Henrik Kohner – created for Edward Schultz




The architect Omer Bouschor was born on 30 October 1902, in Thompson, MI. It is understood he worked in several communities including Grosse Pointe, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Flint, and Saginaw. During the 1930’s Boushor was heavily influenced by the Tudor revival style, which lead him to create around 14 Tudor homes in the community, including 719 Berkshire, which was Emil Schultz’s own home. You can read two-part story of Omer Bouschor here and here.





838 Berkshire was one of Boushor’s French Colonial styled homes that he created during the 1930’s – a rare design given that he was predominantly creating Tudor homes during this era. It is beautifully proportioned in every way and is arguably one of the finest examples of this architectural approach in Grosse Pointe Park.





787 Berkshire was built by Emil Schultz presumably as a spec home. The house had tremendous detail throughout, including a mahogany banister, a stunning foyer and landing with a huge leaded and stained-glass window. The recreation room with its “English Pub” had a beamed ceiling, while there was a vaulted ceiling in the main bedroom. The architect was Henrik Kohner, who was born in Turessar-Gyarniata, Hungary in 1884. It is understood he relocated to the United States in 1903, and moved to Detroit around 1912, where he would open his own office.


It appears Emil Schultz owned the property for a short time – he listed it for sale in October 1937 for $35,600 (around $828,500 today). At some point it was purchased by Roy Dossin whose daughter Dolores married Emil’s son, Robert in January 1941.





During the early 1950’s it appears Emil Schultz was responsible for developing at least three subdivisions in Grosse Pointe Woods – E Kings Court, W Kings Court, and Pear Tree Lane (in 1950-51).


Emil Schultz passed on 26 December 1965. In presenting the work of these unsung builders and designers who worked in Grosse Pointe during the first half of the 20th century, it ensures the less prominent, yet equally stunning homes, have a chance to showcase their stories. And in some way shape or form every home in Grosse Pointe has an interesting tale to tell.


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 

 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 30 Jun 2026 07:56:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--the-new-237-lake-shore.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--the-new-237-lake-shore.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – The New 237 Lake Shore</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we explored the history of a former grand home in Grosse Pointe, “Ridgemont”, located at 237 Lake Shore. It was designed in 1902 by Rogers &amp; MacFarlane for David C. Whitney and was one of the finest estates ever built in Grosse Pointe. It was razed in 1955.


This week we stay with 237 Lake Shore as we look at the home that was built on part of the land that was once the “Ridgemont” estate. Following the demolition of the original home, in 1955, the land was subdivided. Part of the property was added to an adjoining estate, 241 Lake Shore, which was owned by Ernest Kanzler (an executive turned banker). In 1966, his son Robert Kanzler commissioned a new home on the site which would become the new 237 Lake Shore.





The new 237 Lake Shore was completed in 1967. It is a stunning 11,176 sq ft French Country Manor style home known as “Fox Hill”, located on a 2-acre elevated lot. Our records indicate the house was designed by Jerome R. Cerny of Chicago and built by the renowned builder Hilary Micou, a prolific builder of homes in Grosse Pointe. During a career that spanned three decades Micou built many prestigious homes in the community in conjunction with some incredibly prominent architects. 237 Lake Shore is arguably one of Micou’s finest creations.


It is believed the architect was Jerome R. Cerny who opened his architectural firm in Lake Forest, Illinois in 1929. It was reported “Mr. Cerny specialized in designing luxury homes for influential families in the Chicago area. His practice expanded dramatically in the 1950’s and early 1960’s when his designs began to appear in the national periodicals House and Garden, and Town and Country. At which point he had begun designing homes for nationally recognized people. His French Country style was very popular and was the most frequently requested.” Source: jeromecernyarchitects.com. It is believed 237 Lake Shore was Mr. Cerny’s only project in Grosse Pointe.


The home for Robert Kanzler was an 18 room, two story estate that has 6 full bedrooms. The distinguishing feature of the home is on the rear elevation that has a beautiful two-story window overlooking the lake. Aside from the house the estate also has a greenhouse, a 4-car heated garage, a carriage house, and a large 49’ x 23’ sq ft oval pool (it is unclear if this was a later addition). Color images courtesy of: Realtor.com














The interior is spectacular with random pegged oak floors throughout. As of 1980 (when the home was listed for sale) the main floor had large bay windows, a fully curved free hanging staircase in the two-story foyer, and a step-down living room and library, which is paneled with bookshelves. There is a separate bar room with a sink, ice maker, and a refrigerator. The garden room has a brick floor that opens to a private patio and a private pool area. In the dining room there is a hand painted motif with a cove ceiling, marble floor, and a built-in china cabinet, along with an adjoining screened porch. There is also a pub room with a separate bar area and a beamed ceiling, a fireplace, and a hidden movie screen. Since the house was completed in 1966 the property has undergone several extensive alterations. Images courtesy of: Realtor.com















Over the years 237 Lake Shore has had several prominent owners. It was commissioned by “fund raising expert” and prominent member of society Robert Kanzler. Born in 1932, Mr. Kanzler’s parents were Josephine (Ford) and Ernest Kazler who married in 1917. They were both central figures in early 20th-century Detroit high society and were deeply tied to the Ford Motor Company and the broader auto industry. Robert Kanzler graduated from Yale. From the mid-1950’s to the early `1960’s he worked for Ford in the marketing and public relations departments. Years later, it is reported “he owned a New England commuter airline and administered his family’s investments.” He also served on the board of various non-profit organizations in the city of Detroit. He passed on 29 May 1986 at his winter home in Florida.


In 1981, the property was purchased by Edsel Ford II, who then sold it to Benson Ford in 1995.  Auto dealer Kenneth Meade bought the home in 2008, who then sold it in 2015 to arguably the most prominent owner of them all, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera for $3.2m cash. The property was sold again in 2025.


The new 237 Lake Shore is one of the finest homes in Grosse Pointe. Located on part of the site of the former David C. Whitney estate, “Ridgemont”, the new residence certainly did (and does) justice to the grand home that once graced the land. It is a key property in the modern-day grand estates of Grosse Pointe.


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 23 Jun 2026 11:50:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--237-lake-shore-ridgemont.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--237-lake-shore-ridgemont.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – 237 Lake Shore “Ridgemont”</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we stopped by 315 Fisher, constructed around 1913 for a German florist named Fred Pautke - there are conflicting stories as to what it was initially used for. Since 1981, it has been the home of Grosse Pointe Theatre for rehearsals, workshops, and as its admin office.


As part of the blog post last week we mentioned the David C. Whitney estate where Fred Pautke (who owned 315 Fisher) was the gardener. This week we delve deeper into this once grand home, known as “Ridgemont” that was located at 237 Lake Shore. It was razed in 1955.


237 Lake Shore was designed by Rogers &amp; MacFarlane for David C. Whitney. It was completed in 1902. At the time Grosse Pointe Farms was transitioning from a place where wealthy families would spend the summer next to the lake to a year-round residential community. Most of the summer cottages that once graced Lake Shore were demolished to make way for the large mansions with formal landscaped gardens. Noted architects were given carte blanche to design grand homes, money was no object and decoration was essential. Each year brought more beautiful homes to the area. In 1902 architect Walter MacFarlane got his chance when banker, and real estate developer David C. Whitney II (son of David Whitney Jr, owner of the house on Woodward, now known as The Whitney) commissioned “Ridgemont”. 


Walter MacFarlane, born in Cold Spring, New York in 1859, attended Detroit Public Schools and then returned to New York as a student at West Point. While he was not a college–trained in architecture, he began his architectural career after he landed a job in the architect’s office of Mr. Lloyd in Detroit. By 1885 he had co-founded a firm with James S. Rogers. The firm of Rogers and McFarlane would maintain offices in the city for almost thirty years. The majority of their commissions were in Detroit and southern Michigan and between them they were responsible for the design of many office buildings, banks, and factories in the downtown area including the Morgan &amp; Wright Bicycle Tire Company plant (laterUniroyal) theCadillac Motor Works, the Murphy Power Plant on Congress Street (purchased byDetroit Edison in 1914)along with a number of beautiful residential buildings in and around the local community. In 1910 it was reported Walter MacFarlane left the firm following a nervous breakdown. After recuperating in Colorado and Arizona, he returned to Detroit in 1912 and formed a partnership with Walter Maul and Walter Lenz. Source: Wikipedia.


One of Rogers and McFarlane’s residential projects was the majestic home for David C. Whitney, a beautiful mansion created in a classical Georgian style featuring, columns, pilasters and a central triangular pediment above the entrance (extensive alterations were made over the years). It was one of several white clapboard Colonial Revival homes that were being built in Grosse Pointe at that time. Along with the William C. McMillan house (designed by Mason and Rice) it was described as “one of the most formal and stylistically pure of these homes. The formal emphasis of Walter MacFarlane’s creation undoubtedly came from the White House in Washington.” The home featured a two-storied portico (often found in the South), which was extremely popular at the turn of the century, while sunrooms were located at either end of the home.  Image courtesy of: Detroit Public Library Digital Collections.








Inside, the house was filled with beautiful works of art, furniture and fittings. It was acknowledged “the Whitney’s soft spot for treasures of the Orient was evident in the famous Oriental room, which featured teakwood tables, bronze Buddha’s, temple bells, ivories, and Chinese miniature art objects. The main entrance hall and the great staircase had fine carved Italian marble consoles, bronze figurines, paintings, and rare tapestries. In the living room was Louis XV and Louis XVI style furniture, beautiful oil paintings, vases, figurines, chests, and a piano. Throughout the house was a “splendid collection of paintings by the Masters.” Source: Grosse Pointe News (June 1954). And thanks to her love of French decor Susan Whitney’s bedroom was a replica of Marie Antoinette’s at Versailles.” Source: Tonnancour, Volume 1. Images courtesy of: Detroit Public Library Digital Collections.























David Charles Whitney II was the son of David Whitney Jr. a prominent lumber baron and one of the wealthiest men in Detroit during the late 19th Century. Mr. Whitney II was born in Detroit on 26 January 1865. He was the head of the Whitney Realty Company and was an avid yachtsman. After moving into 237 Lake Shore in 1902, Mr. Whitney lived at the property with his wife Susan (the couple married in 1892) and their son, until his death on 24 April 1942. It appears his wife remained at the home for several more years. She passed on 19 November 1953. They were the only people who had owned the property.


The David C. Whitney house was one of the earliest mansions to be built on Lake Shore and it was also one of the first to be razed. On 22 June 1954 the property was opened to the public to sell the “entire collection” of the estate. People came from far and wide to attend the sale which ran for five days. It was marketed as “Grosse Pointe's Greatest Sale of Authentic PeriodFurniture, Oriental Rugs, Tapestries, Silver and Objects of- Fine' Art.” Image courtesy of Grosse Pointe News (June 1954) and Tonnancour.








237 Lake Shore was demolished in 1955. Following which the land was subdivided. Part of the property was added to an adjoining estate, 241 Lake Shore, which was owned by Ernest Kanzler (an executive turned banker). In 1966, his son Robert Kanzler commissioned a new home on the site.


If anyone attended the sale or visited the 237 Lake Shore we would love to hear from you.


* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 16 Jun 2026 08:20:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
<item>
    <guid>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--315-fisher.html</guid>
    <link>https://www.higbiemaxon.com/blog/historical-architecture-of-grosse-pointe--315-fisher.html</link>
        <author>kay@higbiemaxon.com (Kay Agney)</author>
        <title>Historical Architecture of Grosse Pointe – 315 Fisher</title>
    <description> <![CDATA[ 



Last week we explored the newest building to be constructed in Grosse Pointe, the Schaap Center, a modern structure that will become part of the community’s architectural story. It opened to patrons in May 2026.


This week we stop by 315 Fisher, owned and used by the Grosse Pointe Theatre (GPT) for rehearsals, workshops, and as its administrative office. As of June 5, GPT’s performance home for its productions will be at the Schaap Center.


It is understood 315 Fisher, a Tudor style building, was constructed around 1913. It is rumored a German florist named Fred Pautke was the original owner, however there are conflicting stories as to what it was initially used for. It has been suggested it was a boarding house or used as a telephone exchange. We understand from 1917 to 1950 Cameron Waterman held title to the land 315 Fisher rests on. Source: Heritage Magazine (July 1986). As part of the article in Heritage Magazine Mr. Cameron explained “Fred Pautke used to have a greenhouse in the back, then when his first wife passed away, he married a nurse and they came up with the idea to turn it into a nursing home.” However, as part of the article, a longtime Grosse Pointe resident, Mr. Hendrie, explained &quot;Mr. Pautke had a hospital there in the 1920s, but before that it was a florist shop. Fred Pautke used to be the gardener for Mr. David Whltney (a grand estate located at 237 Lake Shore) prior to that.&quot;  Source: Heritage Magazine (July 1986). Fred Pautke passed in 1945.


Around 1960 the building had become the location of the Grosse Pointe Nursing Home which had thirteen patient rooms on the second floor. By 1979 it was reported 315 Fisher was vacant and unable to be renovated due to exorbitant costs and run-ins with bureaucratic red tape. Then, in the summer of 1981, the building was acquired by the GPT after the nursing homes board of trustees accepted the theater's offer to purchase it for $60,000 (around $219,000 today). At the time, it was explained “the Theatre needed a home to store costumes, set dressings, and to rehearse for its five major productions each year. Source: Grosse Pointe News (July 1981).


Prior to moving into 315 Fisher, it is understood members of GPT met monthly at Grosse Pointe War Memorial “and had been scattered around the Grosse Pointe area since the theatre’s inception in 1947.” For a limited time, the theatre had used the Grosse Pointe Academy but were asked to move on, in April 1981. Prior to taking over 315 Fisher the theatre had “lost out on its bid to purchase the Old Kerby School in Grosse Pointe Farms.” Following which, several weeks later, they acquired 315 Fisher, where they have been located ever since. Image courtesy of: GoogleEarth





In an article in Heritage Magazine (July 1980) it was suggested by the building manager of 315 Fisher, at the time, that the ghost of a lady named Emma presided over the building. It is understood Emma was the last patient to pass away at the nursing home. She had her bedroom in what would become the costume assembly room.


Over the years it is understood that while the building has maintained much of the original structure changes were made to fit the needs of various tenants. It was reported when GPT purchased the building “it was a mess, with water six inches deep in some areas.” As part of the restoration work it was explained in the article in Heritage Magazine (July 1986) GPT had to rip up eight to ten inches of flooring before they discovered the original hardwood floors. The organization proceeded to make many changes which included converting the entrance and the sunroom into a dance room. It has been acknowledged when the remodel began, “eleven dumpsters were filled with plaster. Walls were torn down to enlarge smaller rooms, while the second floor where the 13 patient rooms had been located became a giant rehearsal hall with a tall, beamed ceiling. The original balcony was retained. After spending around $50,000 for the remodeling the building became a pleasant reminder of the past.” Source: Heritage Magazine (July 1986).


Today, 315 Fisher is still under the careful ownership of Grosse Pointe Theatre. The building, with its tunnel awning, stands as a testimony to the organization’s successful marriage of good business practices, warm camaraderie, and hard work.


Grosse Pointe Theatre’s new performance home will now be at the Schaap Center in Grosse Pointe Park. Their first production is Cinderella, which runs from June 5 until June 21.



* Photos courtesy of the Higbie Maxon Agney archives unless stated.


** Research, information, and data sources are deemed reliable, but accuracy cannot be fully guaranteed.


 


Written by Katie DoelleCopyright © 2026 Higbie Maxon Agney &amp; Katie Doelle 
 ]]> </description>
    <pubDate>Tue, 09 Jun 2026 12:36:00 -0500</pubDate>
</item>
    </channel>
</rss>