Found 2 blog entries tagged as William B. Stratton & Frank C. Baldwin.

Over the past couple of weeks we have been exploring the homes that were part of the grand Fredrick Moulton Alger estate. The original home designed by William Stratton and Frank C. Baldwin (17700 E. Jefferson, designed in 1908), and the guesthouse (1 Island Lane), designed in 1925 by Stratton and Snyder.

This week we move to the house located next door to the Alger estate, and introduce the home of one of the architects’ mentioned above – Frank C. Baldwin. Located at 17620 E. Jefferson, the home, also known as “the Hedges”, was built in 1907, having been designed by Baldwin himself, and his partner William Stratton. Image courtesy of: Tonnancour, Volume 1. 

Unlike the Frederick Alger home (the innovative, ahead of its time neighbor), the…

2071 Views, 0 Comments

Last week we introduced you to 16761 E. Jefferson, the magnificent mansion designed by Louis Kamper. This week we would like to focus on another of Grosse Pointes’ lost mansions – “By-Way”, formally located at 17770 E. Jefferson, and the home of Frederick Moulton Alger. 

We have already delved into the history of several lost estates on Lakeshore. These grand mansions, owned by prominent members of the community (Scott Whitcomb, Henry D. Sheldon, William P. Stevens, and J. Brooks Nichols), have been lost over time having been demolished and the properties subdivided for new homes.

“By-Way” was designed by William B. Stratton & Frank C. Baldwin, and completed in 1908. William Buck Stratton, born in Ithaca, New York in 1865, was an innovative…

3533 Views, 0 Comments